Re: info invisible changes

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: info invisible changes
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 13:49:33 -0500

> When I do `Memacs' from the top-level dir (with point at the beginning
> of the buffer), I get the following error:
>
>    Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "No such anchor in tag table or node
> in tag table or file: The extensible self-documenting text editor")
>      signal(error ("No such anchor in tag table or node in tag table or file:
> The extensible self-documenting text editor"))
>      error("No such anchor in tag table or node in tag table or file: %s"
> "The extensible self-documenting text editor")
>      byte-code(...)
>      Info-find-node-2(nil "The extensible self-documenting text editor" nil)
>      Info-find-node(nil "The extensible self-documenting text editor")
>      Info-goto-node("The extensible self-documenting text editor" nil)
>      Info-menu("Emacs" nil)
>      call-interactively(Info-menu)
>
> [Note that the "The extensible ..." is the descriptive text for the
>  `Emacs' menu line, so apparently the `M' command is getting confused
>  about how things are formatted.]

Can you try again ?  There's been changes w.r.t. intangibility
which might explain the bug and which should be fixed now.
This also applies to the cursor motion.  It's definitely not
perfect now but it's probably slightly different.

> There are some other, more minor problems with this:
>
>   (1) The dir file (and presumably other info menus) I have was
>       formatted assuming that no text would be hidden, so in some cases,
>       the invisible text results in a very wierd looking display.
>
>       Here's an example display from my *info* dir node (these are all
>       debian entries):
>
> --- begin quote ---
> * CVS                 Concurrent Versions
>                                                    System
> * CVS client/server     Describes the
>                                                    client/server protocol
>                                                    used by CVS.
> * gcc-295             The GNU Compiler
>                                                    Collection (Version
>                                                    2.95.x).
> * Gdb                 The GNU debugger.
> * Gdb-Internals               The GNU debugger's
>                                                    internals.
> ---  end quote  ---

We should probably refill the text.  After all, I think this problem only
happens for the `dir' file, not in other menus.

        Stefan