Re: 21.2.90 pretest, 21.3, 21.4...

From: Karl Eichwalder
Subject: Re: 21.2.90 pretest, 21.3, 21.4...
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 07:58:50 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> Sorry, I don't think I understand what do you mean by ``patch sets''.

1 patch or 1 patch set to fix something well defined that's said to be a
bug; examples out of the blue: disabling fringes, enabling encoding
unification, prevent crash on architecture 'foo', and the like.

> AFAIK, Emacs has never released any patches (is there a project that
> does?),

Linux kernel hackers?

> only tarballs of new versions where some problems are fixed

Yes.  My idea is to prepare those patches mainly for internal release
management purposes (but it wouldn't hurd to make them available on
alpha, too).  Prepare pre-releases as usual, do testing.  Now, when a
serious problem with the already released version pops up, fix just
this problem and release a fixed version immediately.  Than apply the
patch sets again and continues the usual pre-release testing cycle.

Also, there are fixes that don't require extensive testing; either
because they are trivial or because they could affect only a small
fraction of users (does not compile on architecture 'bar').  I'd like
to see released those fixes rather timely.

Hope it's clear what I meant.  If not, just forget about it ;-)

> the directory on alpha.gnu where we put the pretests is no longer
> secret or unreadable.

I wasn't aware of this change, great!  I recommend to announce things
like this more publicly.  PITA, that the gnu announce group is empty
since ages -- as long as you (not you personally) don't fix the
announce channels you don't have a right to complain about the lack of
manpower.

Others wihtin this thread already said: the more activity (useful
releases) you will show to the user and hacker crowed the more you will
attract helpful hands.

Okay, talk is easy.

--
address@hidden (work) / address@hidden (home):              |