Re: server-start under Windows

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: server-start under Windows
Date: 06 Nov 2002 10:53:50 +0100

"Ben Key" <address@hidden> writes:

> I have managed to get emacsclient to build under Windows.  However, I cannot
> test it because whenever I call server-start, I get a "Unknown address
> family" error message.  I spent some time debugging this and I found that it
> is being generated by the built in function "make-network-process" in
> process.c, line 2749.  I am at a loss as to how to resolve this problem.

I assume that's because in server.el, make-network-process is called with
these args:
        :family 'local :service server-socket-name

This only works if AF_LOCAL (aka. AF_UNIX) is supported by the O/S --
so I would assume it isn't supported on Windoze...

Probably, the solution is to use a local network connection if
:family 'local isn't supported.  This can be tested in lisp with

        (featurep 'make-network-process '(:family  local))

Maybe Stefan can help you here.