Re: NTEmacs, smtpmail-queue-mail, and line-endings

From: David Abrahams
Subject: Re: NTEmacs, smtpmail-queue-mail, and line-endings
Date: 06 Nov 2002 15:21:20 -0500

David Abrahams <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure I'm posting this to the right places, but I hope someone
> here can help.
>
> I'm using NTEmacs 21.2 with a very recent smtpmail.el (from GNU emacs
> CVS, I think), and I'm setting smtpmail-queue-mail so that I don't
> have to wait for the server each time I finish composing a message.
>
> In order to get queueing to work, I had to set:
>
>   (setq smtpmail-mail-address "address@hidden")
>
> Which seems wrong because it isn't documented, but without it my
> outgoing messages were being rejected as having no sender.
>
> However, I've received a number of complaints from people I'm
> corresponding with. For example, Microsoft Outlook users (I'm sure
> some of you will say they deserve what they get, but I need to
> correspond with them anyway) all say:
>
>     Not sure what's up w/ your mailer.  All email from you has no
>     subject, and the cc: line appears in the body.  On top of that,
>     it's double spaced.
>
> Other people simply never see my emails; presumably they're being
> silently rejected by their server somewhere.
>
> And some Linux users have problems, too (see bottom of this
> message). The email looks fine to me on its way out; my best guess is
> that the DOS '\r\n' line ending convention is messing things up. The
> files stored in ~/Mail/queued-mail, waiting to go out. do indeed have
> DOS line-endings.
>
> Any clues about how to repair this would be much-appreciated!

One further piece of information: if I manually go into the
queued-mail/ folder and change the coding system in the messages to
'undecided-unix, people seem to get the right thing. I could probably
hack my smtpmail.el to do that for me at some point in the chain, but
I am a bit clueless about coding systems, so I'd have no idea if
that's really the right thing to do. In particular, it seems like it
could mess up embedded MIME attachments.

--
                    David Abrahams
address@hidden * http://www.boost-consulting.com