Re: Emacs Lisp and Guile

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs Lisp and Guile
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 23:49:32 -0500

      But I think it's acceptable to have a few
    new primitives for convenience/performance, preferably abstracted
    above the level of any single language (e.g. a general dynamic binding
    primitive).

I agree with that principle.  It is useful to add general purpose
facilities to Guile to make it better for translating other languages
into.

        Ken> One of my concerns in that area is with mixing Lisp dynamic
bindings
        Ken> and Guile thread support.  If we want multi-threaded Lisp, do we
pass
        Ken> around some sort of environment pointer, or call thread-aware
routines
        Ken> to fetch current environment info?  Neil, does your code try to
        Ken> support multi-threaded Lisp?

    No, it doesn't.

This is a serious issue.  Multi-thread support is a usefu thing, and
when we add primitives, we should preserve multi-thread support if at
all possible.

Can you and Guile developers work on a way to do this with
multi-thread support?