Re: find-aliases, where-did-you-go-little-command

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: find-aliases, where-did-you-go-little-command
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 17:52:58 +0100

On Thu, 07 Nov 2002 10:08:52 -0500, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

> Few people will try it if it is not on by default.
> It is harmless, right?  So turn it on by default.

I've followed Stefan's suggestion and hardcoded it to be on by default.
If later it is decided to make it customizable is just a matter of
adding a variable and a two-lines change to `where-is'.

Then I've followed Kai's suggestion and commited it ;)

> In the current code, this feature inserts the same text that would
> otherwise be displayed in another buffer.  It looks like that is true
> in your version also.  So why say "and more so"?

In both the code before and after my patch, C-u C-h w does not insert
the exact same text that C-h w shows. Consider:

 C-h w hi-lock-face-buffer =>

  hi-lock-face-buffer is not on any key;
  and highlight-regexp is on C-x w h, <menu-bar> <edit> <hi-lock>
<highlight-regexp>

 C-u C-h w hi-lock-face-buffer =>

  M-x hi-lock-face-buffer RET;
  and C-x w h, <menu-bar> <edit> <hi-lock> <highlight-regexp> (highlight-regexp)

The first format is more descriptive, so adding "and " seems more natural.

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u