Re: Emacs Lisp and Guile

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: Emacs Lisp and Guile
Date: 07 Nov 2002 20:32:14 +0000

    Ken> One of my concerns in that area is with mixing Lisp dynamic bindings
    Ken> and Guile thread support.  If we want multi-threaded Lisp, do we pass
    Ken> around some sort of environment pointer, or call thread-aware routines
    Ken> to fetch current environment info?  Neil, does your code try to
    Ken> support multi-threaded Lisp?

    Neil>     No, it doesn't.

    Richard> This is a serious issue.  Multi-thread support is a usefu thing,
and
    Richard> when we add primitives, we should preserve multi-thread support if
at
    Richard> all possible.

    Richard> Can you and Guile developers work on a way to do this with
    Richard> multi-thread support?

I'm not sure I understand.  Previously you said that you didn't think
it would be possible to implement a preemptively multithreaded Emacs,
because there is too much existing Elisp code that is not thread-safe.

When I said "No" above, I meant that my code doesn't do anything
special to support multithreading.  I thought this would be OK in the
light of your opinion just described.

If you mean that new primitives should be thread-safe in the sense of,
e.g., avoiding accessing global data without a mutex, it may be that
most of my code already has this property.  I will check.

        Neil