Re: Emacs Lisp and Guile

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs Lisp and Guile
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2002 06:54:01 -0500

    I'm not sure I understand.  Previously you said that you didn't think
    it would be possible to implement a preemptively multithreaded Emacs,
    because there is too much existing Elisp code that is not thread-safe.

To do multi-threading in Emacs we would have to somehow specify in the
C code the places where a thread-switch is allowed.

    When I said "No" above, I meant that my code doesn't do anything
    special to support multithreading.

Multithreading won't be easy, but we don't want to add to the difficulty.
Please don't take a step away from that goal.