Re: Gtk version getting closer

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Gtk version getting closer
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 15:16:09 +0100 (MET)

>     Shall the code be reviewed by this list or any individual before
>     a possible checkin?
>
> Please send the patches here so everyone can look.

I will do that shortly, probably within a week.

>     Does this go in a separate branch (how do you "branch" new files) or
>     directly to CVS latest?
>
> We could do it either way.  If you have tested building with another
> toolkit, and it still works, then I don't see a need for a branch.
> However, if you want to make it a branch, I don't think that is
> horrible.

I would rather not make a branch.  I will make sure all other toolkits
on Unix works.

>     Which version of autoconf is the recommended?  Does that version have
>     builtin tests for Gtk?
>
> I don't think we need one.  We don't want to make Gtk the default
> at this stage.

I was thinking of the code that autoconf needs to detect the path to Gtk
and that the version of Gtk is correct, in case the user specified --with-gtk
to configure.  If we are using an autoconf that doesn't have this built in,
I need to create an aclocal.m4 with that code.  Since I know there was such
a file previously but now is removed, I would like to know if it is okay
to create one again.  I don't know the reason why it was removed.  It can
be as easy as it was redundant, but there might be some other reason.

>     The toolbar is not a Gtk toolbar, it is the standard Emacs toolbar.
>
> That is ok for now.

A Gtk toolbar can be added later on I guess.  I think Gtk/Gnome users
expect the toolbar to pick up their Gtk theme, so I will raise the
priority for this.  I don't use the toolbar, so it is not important for
me.

>     I am also not sure if I will do tooltips in menus, I find that to be a bit
>     of a strange user interface solution.
>
> I think they are important.

For the toolbar I agree.  Icons can mean many things, so a tooltip helps.
For menus, however, the text in the menu should be enough or expanded
so the tip is not needed.  I'll see what I can do, but they might not make
it into the first patch.  A cutomize variable to turn tooltips off just
in menus is something I would like to add later on.

        Jan D.