Re: server-start under Windows - revisited

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: server-start under Windows - revisited
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2002 15:20:13 -0500

> 1.  Modify server-start in server.el to detect if AF_LOCAL sockets are
> available using the line
>
>   (featurep 'make-network-process '(:family  local))
>
> (Thanks go to to Kim F. Storm for this information.)
>
> 2. If AF_LOCAL sockets are not available, I need to then attempt to set the
> server process using tcp sockets.  This I am not certain how to do.  Are TCP
> sockets the same as INet?  Can I do this with the following?
>           (setq server-process
>                 (make-network-process
>                  :name "server" :server t :noquery t
>                  :service server-socket-name
>                  :sentinel 'server-sentinel :filter 'server-process-filter
>                  ;; We must receive file names without being decoded.
>                  ;; Those are decoded by server-process-filter according
>                  ;; to file-name-coding-system.
>                  :coding 'raw-text))

I don't know whether it would work, but if it does, it still isn't
good enough because it opens up an enormous security hole: anybody
can connect to your machine on the given socket and ask your Emacs
to do just about anything.
Maybe it's OK if you only open a socket on the address `localhost'.

> 3. Modify Emacsclient.c so that it supports TCP sockets under Windows.

Another approach would be to try and get emacsclient.c and Emacs
to support unix-domain sockets (or something similar) under w32.

        Stefan