Re: Fix for Emacs Crash - revisited

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Fix for Emacs Crash - revisited
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 16:59:47 +0100

On Mon, 11 Nov 2002 10:32:49 US/Eastern, address@hidden wrote:

> I would agree with this if it where not for the global variable test
> I did (I set a global variable to a specific value in syms_of_w32menu,
> set a breakpoint in initialize_frame_menubar which is called after
> syms_of_w32menu, and found that at this point the global variable had
> that specific value).

That's really weird.

Excuse me for asking (perhaps obvious) questions, but: wouldn't you
accidentally mix optimized and not-optimized modules? I've had weird
things happening in those cases. And it's really strange not to be able
to put a breakpoint in existing code...

> As I said before,
> I am uncomfortable when I cannot determine why a change that fixes a crash
> is necessary.  That is why I tested this change as throughly as I did.

No doubt. You're making a great effort on all this. Please don't think
I'm thinking or saying otherwise.

> The Platform SDK documentation says it is only Supported in Windows
> NT / 2000 / XP.  This does not necessarily mean it does not exist in
> other versions of Windows.

I know. But I don't think we should be relying on
undocumented/unsupported features, so the question would be: Why was it
used in the code? For some reason we don't know or simply because of an
oversight?

> If OpenProcessToken did not exist in Windows 9x, Emacs would not even
> run in Windows 9x.  Instead, a dialog complaining about OpenProcessToken
> not being found would be displayed and then Emacs would exit unless we
> changed the code to call OpenProcessToken via a function pointer rather
> than calling it directly.

I know ;)

> NOTE: The call to OpenProcessToken was there
> before I made my change.

That was obvious from your patch :)

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u