Re: info invisible changes

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: info invisible changes
Date: 12 Nov 2002 11:59:14 +0100

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:
> > Is someone working on fixing fill.el to deal with these text properties?
> >
> > If not, should the code in fill.el be modified in general to deal with
> > these properties, or can it be done by adding another type of filling
> > specifically for this type of mangled text?  Please advise!
>
> I suspect that this is a somewhat hard problem.  Of course, by simply
> modifying the text directly (using properties where necessary to hold
> out-of-band info) instead of using invisible/display properties, the
> problem just goes away entirely.  ...and if you're gonna modify the
> buffer by filling anyway...

True!

However, I think that fill should at least be aware of 'invisible
properties (which should be doable), while dealing with 'display
properties is harder and less important (for my purpose at least).

If we fixed the 'invisible problem, then I could simply insert the
"see" into the buffer rather than using a 'display property and make
the *note part invisible to allow the Info navigation to remain
unchanged.

BTW, I was asked to implement image support in Info mode.  Has anyone
done some thoughts on how that should work [what kind of reference
would be in the info buffer, and where would the image be stored?]