Re: Mac OS X 10.2.2 - Need to Recompile

From: Steven Tamm
Subject: Re: Mac OS X 10.2.2 - Need to Recompile
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 08:16:23 -0800

FWIW, I got it to work by just relinking. I removed src/emacs and then "make" rerunning make from a two week old version of CVS.

Now I get a bunch of warnings like this one, chosen at random:
keyboard.c:62: warning: could not use precompiled header '/usr/include/unistd-gcc3.p', because: keyboard.c:62: warning: macro 'select' defined by ./s/darwin.h conflicts with precomp

This warning is OK. Select is overridden on Mac OS X to deal with a small problem when carbon emacs is run from the command line. It should also complain about vfork being overridden. I don't remember what it was for and I'm not sure if that override is necessary in 10.2. If it says "precompiled header is out of date" then run
% sudo fixPrecomps

Finally the compile dies a horrible death at:
Compiling /Users/bmiller/src/emacs/lisp/progmodes/cc-mode.el
>>Error occurred processing /Users/bmiller/src/emacs/lisp/progmodes/cc-mode.el: Symbol's function definition is void ((char-table-p))
make[1]: *** [compile] Error 1
make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

A couple other people have sent this to me. It appears latest CVS is broken. I just updated to the latest CVS and run a make bootstrap and encountered the same problem. I'm going to try to revert to CVS from two weeks ago and see what happens.