Re: Gtk version getting closer

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Gtk version getting closer
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 20:15:39 +0300

> From: Karl Eichwalder <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 08:24:23 +0100
>
> If you want to sell a product consistency is an
> important issue.  The ideal goal should be: all or nothing.  If
> tooltips appear only now and then, the user might think there is
> something broken.

I see the point, but I actually thought about this before and I
disagree.  I find it disgusting when a GUI program sticks into my face
a tooltip that doesn't add any useful information.  I think Emacs's
paradigm is better.

> > You should be able to do a "C-h k", then click the menu item and get its
> > explanation.
>
> Sure, that's a good way for the advanced user (to be more precise: for
> the keyboard user).  You are not going to convince the mouse user he
> wants to learn those key combos ;-)

Each of those C-h functions has a menubar equivalent; see the "Help"
menu and its submenus.

> For the moment it would be good enough if Emacs would jump
> to the documentation of the function; just print a message want you
> intend to do.

But that's just it: there _is_ no documentation for those functions,
only doc strings (and even those are sometimes absent, since some of
the menu items invoke lambda-expressions).

> Is it
> okay to write it in German and to wait for someone to translate it?  Or
> shall I try it in English and hope for corrections?

I think it's better to write English.  It's much easier for someone to
fix English than to translate from German.