Re: Question about GC in C code.

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Question about GC in C code.
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 07:18:57 +0100 (MET)

>     How about if alloc.c was modified so other code could register a function
>     to be called when GC occurs?  That function could then mark lisp
>     objects as needed.
>
> Would it really make a big difference?  I don't see it.  It would be a
> simplification in something already simple, that is only done very
> rarely.  Why do you think this would be a big improvement?

The thing is I don't think I can guarantee that it will be rarely.
Since Gtk is new and some issues not really solved (tooltips in
menus, Gtk toolbar), I expect more Lisp_Objects may be needed in
Gtk callback data.  I would prefer to be able to make local changes
in a Gtk only file rather that propagate these changes into files
that really have nothing to do with GUI toolkits.

Also, I think minimizing the number of files that have to have
tests for USE_GTK is a good thing.

        Jan D.