Re: Mac OS X 10.2.2 - Need to Recompile

From: Steven Tamm
Subject: Re: Mac OS X 10.2.2 - Need to Recompile
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 00:12:32 -0800

Done.  Here it is.

* Emacs crashes on Mac OS X (Carbon) after system software upgrade.

Between Mac OS X release 10.2.1 and 10.2.2 there was an incompatible
change in the memory allocator that causes a EXC_BAD_ACCESS error near
xrealloc().  Relinking the application (by deleting src/temacs and
running make) will solve the problem.  It appears to be caused by some
problems with the unexec code and its interaction with libSystem.B.

-----

I researched the problem and it appears to be related to the unexmacosx.c code. I need to compare more the unexdyld.c code from apple (which provided an upwardly compatibly release) with how unexmacosx works. Hopefully darwin will get a little more stable so that the incompatible changes won't happen so frequently.

For those who still have a bad binary, could you check to see if setting the environment variable DYLD_FORCE_FLAT_NAMESPACE fixes anything? I have a sneaky suspicion it might; but it could also fail due to redefinition of some terminfo variables BC, PC, and UP.

-Steven

P.S. I spent a little bit of time trying to get unexdyld.c to work with the Carbon GUI. As Andrew's comments in unexmacosx.c explain, the use of malloc_freezedry and malloc_jumpstart exist in Next/Openstep/rhapsody/darwin solely for the purpose of emacs unexec. However, it appears that any use of the CoreFoundtation layer (which Carbon uses extensively) causes malloc_freezedry to break. The unexmacosx.c code does pretty much the same thing that freezedry does, but with a finer degree of control by using the primitives in scaleable_malloc directly. However, if you try to update_prebinding on an emacs binary, it complains that hints table is out of place. Running otool -l on the Apple provided binary next to one from CVS yields a very, very different story. More investigation into this is needed.