Re: Gtk version getting closer

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Gtk version getting closer
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 18:31:32 +0100

onsdagen den 13 november 2002 kl 18.09 skrev David Masterson:

Karl Eichwalder writes:

Could you explain what is disturbing about it?  Then I can think
about the issue.

Tooltips are poping up and hiding other info.  As somebody else
explained, for menu entries tooltips are not that important, because
menu texts are better to understand than tool bar icons.

If tooltips are active, they tend to pop up on their own.  This can be
disconcerting for menus, but perhaps that's because I'm slightly more
used to the MS-Windows approach.  In that case, tooltips for menus
only popup if you use the "What's this?" command (Shift-F1).  This
"What's this?" command can be applied to any widget on the screen (but
not every widget answers it).

Perhaps you want to think about this approach for menu tooltips?

This sounds good.  As pointed out, C-h k is (almost) Emacs version
of "What's this?".  Could C-h k be bent to show a tooltip when
invoked on a menu or toolbar item?

How does MS Windows handle the menu when doing this?  Do you first select
"What's this?" and then the menu item?  Or is it the menu item first and
"What's this?" afterwards?  If the first, is the menu still open when
the tooltip is shown?

        Jan D.