Re: Potential redisplay problem [Re: Recursive load of mule-util.elc]

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: Potential redisplay problem [Re: Recursive load of mule-util.elc]
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 21:59:49 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> writes:

>     By the way, is autloading the only way to cause of the above
>     recursive call?

> I am not certain.  I haven't studied the code.

>     If that is possible, why don't just add a code to suppress
>     the call of message_with_string when something is being
>     autoloaded?

> We don't want to do this in general.  The user should be informed
> about loading due to autoloads.

I don't mean to do that in general, but to add such a
suppressing code somewhere in this calling sequence:
>     message_with_string -> message3 -> message3_nolog
>       ->  echo_area_display -> redisplay_mode_lines ->
>       ->  display_mode_lines -> display_mode_element

For instance, introducing a global variable
`inhibit_loading_message', toggle it on and off around the
code of evaluating a form in display_mode_element, and
modify Fload to pay attention to it.

This is just a quick thought.  For the correct fix, we have
to study the code more.   For instance, I don't know why
echo_area_display must lead to redisplay_mode_lines.

But, for the moment, I don't have a time to study this issue
in detail and write an actual code.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden