Re: Gtk version getting closer

From: David Masterson
Subject: Re: Gtk version getting closer
Date: 15 Nov 2002 10:46:43 -0800

>> From: David Masterson <address@hidden>
>> Date: 15 Nov 2002 08:36:44 -0800
>>
>> if you were going to use the menu, I would think the tooltip
>> popping up might get in the way.

> Can't you prevent this by customizing tooltip-x-offset and
> tooltip-y-offset, or maybe tooltip-delay?

I guess it's a preference thing.  Some people are used to tooltips
popping up all the time and, so, it doesn't distract them if they're
not interested in the tooltip.  Others prefer the tooltip to be
available when asked for (as in "What's this?") and would be annoyed
if the tooltip popped up while (say) they were thinking about choosing
between menuA and menuB.  The tooltip-delay might help, but it
requires a fine balance between too fast (annoying you when you're not
interested in the tip) and too slow (annoying you when you are
interested).  The offsets are also problematic because the widgets
that the tooltips are applied to are not uniform size, so sometimes
the offset may be too far and sometimes it may be too close.

Perhaps a tooltip-style variable is needed with these options:

* never - deactivate tooltips
* always - full activation of tooltips
* nomenus - activated except for menus
* whatthis - deactivate tooltips, but "What's this?" will activate
  tooltip of selected widget

Or, perhaps, the style should only be the first 3 and the last one is
a command (which can be applied to a key) that is always available.

--
David Masterson                David DOT Masterson AT synopsys DOT com
Sr. R&D Engineer               Synopsys, Inc.