Re: Gtk version getting closer

From: David Masterson
Subject: Re: Gtk version getting closer
Date: 15 Nov 2002 11:03:54 -0800

> David Masterson <address@hidden> writes:
>> However, if you were going to use the menu, I would think the
>> tooltip popping up might get in the way.

> Maybe more vertical separation between the mouse pointer and tooltip
> would help here. Or moving the tooltip to below the mouse pointer
> might keep it more out of the way (and would be consistent with
> Gnome, Sawfish and MS-Windows).

For some people, this might be enough *most* of the time.  Because the
widgets that might have tooltips are not uniform in size or content,
the visual offsets you mention may sometimes seem too big and
sometimes seem too small (beauty is in the eye of the beholder).

All I'm suggesting is you've got three different types of users:

* Those who don't like tooltips at all (in which case, you provide a
  variable to turn off tooltips).
* Those who find tooltips useful *when* they ask for them (in which
  case, the "What's this?" command makes sense).
* Those who generally find tooltips useful (in which case, the normal
  popups with adjustment variables makes sense).

--
David Masterson                David DOT Masterson AT synopsys DOT com
Sr. R&D Engineer               Synopsys, Inc.