Re: pbm files and elisp manual

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: pbm files and elisp manual
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 00:11:49 +0000

Robert J. Chassell writes:

 >    >     ... I see
 >    >     that all the xpm files have a pbm counterpart. I don't know why
 >    >     they are needed (do people really have binary displays ?)
 >
 > People run Emacs on impoverished hardware.  Or they work remotely over
 > communications lines running at 150 baud.  One of the great advantages
 > of Emacs is that it discriminates less than other programs.  You can
 > use GNU Emacs to work in difficult circumstances.

At 150 baud I would have thought people would stick to text and not use
images.

Anyway, trying to be pragmatic about it, I've created and installed some pbm
files. If anyone who has compiled emacs without support for XPM images and/or
uses pbm icons finds them unsuitable then please feel free to edit them.

Nick