Re: XPM via Lisp in the toolbar

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: XPM via Lisp in the toolbar
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 09:51:55 -0500

    > Why not add the caching feature in your conversion library?
    > Then it would apply to anything that tries to display XPM
    > and works via conversion.

    Hmm. I would do it. I hesitate only, because this would mean that
    *every* XPM image viewed within an Emacs buffer would be stored as a
    PBM/PGN/PPM file on the disk.

I would expect the cache to be within Emacs only.  If we wanted to have
copies on disk, we may as well include them in the Emacs distribution
as we do now.

    Or do you mean to do caching without storing the image data on the
    disk? So that only in a single instance of Emacs no image file is
    converted twice? I think this would only be useful in very few cases;

Yes.

    for example if the user from my example above decided to review the
    directory a second time. I doubt that this is worth the trouble.

Many icons will be used over and over within one Emacs session.
I think caching within a session is important.