Re: TODO additions

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: TODO additions
Date: 17 Nov 2002 22:49:36 +0000

> Using Autoconf means doing it by experiments on the system.
> configure.in can also test the configuration name,
> which means not using Autoconf.

I don't think that's what most people using autoconf mean by `using
autoconf'.  The configuration name is actually derived by the autoconf
macro AC_CANONICAL_HOST.  However, I guess to most of us, substituting
config info into Makefiles using cpp is `not using autoconf', whereas
doing it directly with AC_OUTPUT and AC_SUBST is.

> If it is going to do that, the present method (with .h files) is
> easier than listing all the values directly on configure.in.

You could use shell fragments instead of .h files to abstract some of
the work if that was useful.  It isn't necessary to do that, though.
configure currently extracts info from the .h files, and that could be
extended to do everything with AC_SUBST & al.  It wouldn't help with
the current .h files being a mess, though.