Re: cc-vars.el

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: cc-vars.el
Date: 20 Nov 2002 16:35:37 +0000

Martin Stjernholm <address@hidden> writes:

> That's the problem; you can't get the pragma without getting the code
> then. E.g. if ACTION gets very large and I decide to split it up in
> several functions I had to add otherwise completely unnecessary
> fboundp checks in them just to silence the compiler.

You can put a conditional around the lot, but I don't remember that
sort of situation actually occurring in code I've worked on.

> Your suggestion will work most of the time, but it still needs to be
> complemented with some pragma forms that doesn't have other effects.

As I said, it's easy to suppress undefined function warnings safely if
you compile file-by-file in batch, for instance with dummy autoloads
for them inside eval-when-compile.  There's probably a case for
something like `(defun fred)' being treated by the optimizer like
`(defvar fred)', but I'm surprised this is such a big deal.