Re: Gtk version getting closer

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Gtk version getting closer
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 09:08:46 -0500

On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 10:09:29PM +0900, Kenichi Handa wrote:
> I think the right thing is to decide the tooltip X/Y offset according to
> the size and position of the rectangle area that activates the tooltip, not
> according to the mouse position.  Then we can make tooltip never overlap
> with the rectangle

I think that's an excellent idea -- it would yield much more consistent
results than the current method.  One thing I noticed about the windows
tooltips is that they pop up neatly aligned with the edge of the menu entry
or whatever, whereas the emacs ones seem placed sort of randomly (presumably
they're at a constant offset from the mouse pointer's position when the
tooltip popped up, but the offset from the actual menu item is much more
noticable).

Perhaps it would also be good to pass a hint as to the preferred side of
rectangle to put the tooltip on (which I guess would be ignored if there
wasn't enough space).

-Miles

--
P.S.  All information contained in the above letter is false,
      for reasons of military security.