Re: cc-vars.el

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: cc-vars.el
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 12:12:41 -0500

    There's already a macro to turn off warnings for variables: (defvar foo).
    I suggested to do the same for (defun bar), but IIRC Richard vetoed it
    because he thinks pragmas to turn off some warnings are just wrong.

I don't think it is wrong necessarily.  However, what would (defun bar)
actually do?  Would it be a magic flag just for the compiler?

    As for whether or not pragmas will ever be made unnecessary, my opinion
    is that it seems highly unlikely that we'll ever get the byte-compiler
    to understand all the cases where a function call is safe.

I see no reason to try to get even close to that.  It would be wasted
effort.  If there are a few standard constructions that avoid warnings,
programmers can use those constructions.  That is easy all around.