Re: Emacs in CVS as today does not build - emacs depends on *.elc, which

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: Emacs in CVS as today does not build - emacs depends on *.elc, which cannot be built without emacs
Date: 21 Nov 2002 11:05:38 -0600

> Please don't do that.  My first message describes
> a much better method.

Whups, already committed now, but even as it is it's an improvement
over the previous situation (an autogen.sh that tells the user to read
INSTALL-CVS is better than no autogen.sh at all).

The method you described wasn't completely fleshed out, and left a few
practical issues unaddressed.  Nevertheless, my original patch
implemented it, or something very close to it, and Kim objected, for
reasons that make a lot of sense to me.

Emacs' bootstrapping is both different from, and more complex than,
most other projects.  If we try to build too much intelligence into
autogen.sh, I think we'll just end up hampering developers.  IMHO it's
better for them to just read & understand INSTALL-CVS.

However, if we can come up with some precise description of how
autogen.sh should behave, I'd be happy to implement it.  Can you
describe exactly what you had in mind?

-Karl