Re: BUG: indenting lisp code marks buffer as dirty when it shouldn't

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: BUG: indenting lisp code marks buffer as dirty when it shouldn't
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 09:28:19 -0500

> This bug exists in Emacs 21.2 as well as CVS HEAD 2002-11-23.

as well as in Emacs-20.7.

> Synopsis:
>
>   emacs -q
>
>   C-space
>
>   insert  "t ;; blah\n"          [ in scratch or any lisp buffer ]

Does it really ?  That's odd.  It doesn't for me.  The reason why it doesn't
is that the ;; is inside a string, so it doesn't try to reindent it
(Emacs-20.7 behaves as you describe because I doesn't pay attention to the
string quotes).
But the problem would appear if you removed the quotes, because the
reindentation would try to reindent the comment and that code is not
careful to modify the text "only if needed".  I'll see how hard it
would be to fix it.

        Stefan