fork v vfork (was Re: Mac OS X: Rebuild Require after Security Update 20

From: Steven Tamm
Subject: fork v vfork (was Re: Mac OS X: Rebuild Require after Security Update 2002-11-21)
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 09:45:17 -0800

I reported a bug with my test case. It's not that big a deal, I just wanted to make sure that something was being done about it. It's a fairly nasty bug if it hangs the system. It would also make the compile a little cleaner.

WRT fork vs. vfork; on darwin the figures I've seen show a difference in performance about 100x, and has been getting worse in each release.

What are people's feelings about conditionalizing the three calls to vfork (in process.c, callproc.c, and sysdep.c) so that it could become fork() on platforms that don't have a working VFORK. It would probably use the HAVE_VFORK conditional.

-Steven