Re: make bootstrap fails with newest CVS sources - 2002-11-25

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: make bootstrap fails with newest CVS sources - 2002-11-25
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 02:25:50 -0500

    Therefore I must conclude that the last change to cl-macs.el was not the one
    that broke make bootstrap.

You are probably right.

                                By reverting cl-macs.el we are only hiding the
    problem, not solving it.

I disagree with that reasoning.  The problem is the cycle of requires,
and eliminating any one of them fixes it.

I think the argument that cl-macs.el should avoid requiring anything
is pretty strong.  After all, lots of files require cl-macs (via cl).
If cl-macs depends on anything, that will tend to lead to loops.

This does not mean we should not also change the code that made
button.el depend on cl-macs.  Maybe we do.  But why does it
depend on cl-macs?  It is not evident.  Can someone figure out why?
With A breakpoint at Frequire and a breakpoint at do_autoload you
can find it out easily.