Re: TUTORIAL.bg

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: TUTORIAL.bg
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 10:03:13 -0500

    > However, please note that you must put (codepage-setup "1251") in the
    > Local Vars section of the file, otherwise people who don't have their
    > defaults set to cp1251 will not be able to read the file correctly
    > because codepages are not set up until you explicitly do so.

That sounds like a very good reason NOT to store this file
in coding system cp1251.

I asked

    Does cp1251 work on GNU without the need to do anything special?

and you said yes, but this information suggests the real answer is no.
It is necessary to do something special, to call codepage-setup, to
make it work.

If cp1251 is the de-facto standard coding system for Bulgarian,
perhaps we should put its definition into a standardly-loaded file, so
that nothing special is needed to use it.  Is that feasible?

Otherwise we should store this file in some other coding system.

Why do you think the choice of coding system would affect whether
people can display the fonts?  The general idea of Mule coding systems
is that you get the same characters in the buffer regardless of
which coding system you use.