Re: [Emacs-orgmode] Interaction of org-mode and Muse (was: Adapting org-

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Emacs-orgmode] Interaction of org-mode and Muse (was: Adapting org-mode to my needs)
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 09:31:01 +0200

Hi Michael,

On Apr 26, 2006, at 22:16, Michael Olson wrote:

On that note, in a couple of weeks (once finals and the next Muse
release are done), I'm going to take a look at org-mode and try to
figure out different ways that Muse and org-mode can interact, since
this is something that people on the Muse mailing list have requested
in the past.  Especially since Muse will probably be entering Emacs
once Emacs22 is released.

Besides the obvious interaction, using the Muse engine to produce
other export formats, can you think of more ways to interact?

One of the plans for the next release of Muse + 1 (3.04) is to support
publishing documents that use other markup syntaxes, such as Markdown
and reSt.  Perhaps org-mode syntax could be supported as well.

I have actually been thinking about an org-to-muse converter as a possibility for easy expansion to many more export formats. So I have a number of ideas about what would be needed and where the difficulties lie. A short appetizer:

- Headline detection should be trivial, however
- Org-mode uses (at least: can use) many more levels than the 4
  available in Muse now.  The Org-mode exporters just switch to
  itemized lists at some headline level.
- Org-mode allows plain lists (itemize, bullet, numbered) of
  arbitrary depth and uses indentation to see the end of items.
  Muse, if I remember correctly, has one level of lists and is
  therefore very relaxed about indentation in lists
- Apart from plain lists, indentation is not syntactically significant
  in Org-mode, it is more visual sugar to make outline easily readable.
  Muse uses indentation for syntax, to quote text, for example.
- Links are similar, but not identical.
- Org-mode table lines also start with "|".  Table headlines are
  implicit, before the first horizontal line in the table.  No
  footer lines.

It can be done, but it is not trivial.

- Carsten