Re: [Emacs-orgmode] Links to BibTeX data files

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Emacs-orgmode] Links to BibTeX data files
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 10:28:08 +0200

On Apr 20, 2006, at 23:08, David Chadd wrote:

This was mentioned recently --- the links to .bib files really don't
work very well (for me, anyway...).  If I want to link to the
following entry in the .bib file:

@Book{wright:sociophilological,

assuming point is in the top line I will get this link:

[[file:~/path/to/file.bib::Book%20wright%20sociophilological]]

This doesn't find the entry.

This was a bug in the function executing the search, which is fixed in 4.27. This does now work out if the box, so you can use the standard links if the line is in the "@entrytype{key," line. However, you are right that it is much better to always link to the key even if the cursor is not in the line.

Of course, the author of the wonderful
RefTeX will make a much better job of this than my Horrible Hack, and
probably include some other goodies too ;-)

Appealing to my vanity as a strategy to get me to work?  It works :-)

In org.el 4.27, C-c l does link to the correct key no matter where the cursor is. It also creates a nice descriptive text for the article, using author names, year and the first few title words.

For this stuff to work smoothly, BibTeX files should be preselected to be visited by Emacs and not another application when visited through an org-mode link. This is so by default now, but if you have customized the variable `org-file-apps', you are overruling this change.

- Carsten