Re: [Orgmode] Org Newbie Dream/Request for Feature - Display linked emai

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Org Newbie Dream/Request for Feature - Display linked email in org file
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 02:49:05 +0100

Hi,

CHENG Gao <address@hidden> writes:

> From Org manual I know Org can deal with external links fine, including
> Gnus article link.
>
> My questions:
> 1. Are these links buttonized? Or can they be?
> Thus when I click it, I can use some progs to open them.

The links are buttonized.

Gnus links are handled by org-follow-gnus-link.  I can see no reason
why you would use something else than Gnus to open gnus links..

> 2. For email links, is it possible to allow for display internally
> and/or externally, just like what Gnus does for some kinds of
> attachments.

You cannot expand the body of an email within an org-mode buffer, but
you can display it within Emacs by following the link.  I don't know
if importing the body of the email makes really sense, since we want
to keep pieces of informations in their usual places, don't we ?

> 3. Can email link record which group it's from and its message id?

Here is what an email link looks like :

  [[gnus:nnml:mail.biblio#1351][balado diffusion]]

The first part entails the group and message id.

> If so, I wish there is a function to retrieve by message id and
> catch all emails in the same thread (from nnml and nnimap groups),
> and display them internally in org file.

I'm afraid there is no easy way to do this.  The first step would be
to find an elegant way to export a whole thread from Gnus.. which is
not that easy!

> I know I'm too greedy and shameless to ask so many questions and
> request absolute-non-trivial-job features. But I do wish someday
> these can be done.

Internally displayed emails is something i've been thinking about when
i was trying to make my org file behave like a blogging plateform.
Emails would then stand for blogs comments.  But i didn't find time to
think about it twice.

Hope you'll find your way through Org, it's really worth the try!

--
Bastien