Re: [Orgmode] TAB key isn't bound to org-cycle with emacs on console

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] TAB key isn't bound to org-cycle with emacs on console
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 09:17:59 +0100

On Feb 8, 2007, at 15:52, Tassilo Horn wrote:

Hello,

I use Org since about 2 month and I really enjoy it. Normally I use
GNU/Emacs with its X11 interface, but today I noticed that TAB is not
bound to `org-cycle' when I use emacs -nw or emacs in a login
shell. Then it's bound to the function I local-set-key it in
fundamental-mode-hook.

,----[ grep -A2 fundamental-mode-hook ~/.emacs ]
| (add-hook 'fundamental-mode-hook
|           (lambda ()
|             (local-set-key "\C-i" 'th-complete-or-indent)))
`----

When I do M-x org-cycle emacs echoes that I can run this function with
<tab>, too.

First of all, not all terminal programs can distinguish between the TAB key and C-i - obviously yours cannot. I am not sure if this can be fixed with som setup - you need to look into documentation on terminal windows for this.

If you cannot fix this, you need to have org-cycle bound to C-i in order to get it executed by TAB.

The problem is that you do the above binding in a hook, and that you use local-set-key to do it. Local-set-key defines the key in the current local map, which in org-mode is org-mode-map. Fundamental-mode-hook seems to be run (I did not know this!) when org-mode is started, because org-mode is derived from outline-mode, which is derived from text-mode which is derived from fundamental-mode, so all these hooks are run!

Here is what you can do:

1. Did you really intend to have this key binding in all modes, or did you only want it in fundamental mode?

If you only need it in, say, fundamental-mode and in text-mode, you could do

(define-key fundamental-mode-map "\C-i" th-......)
(define-key text-mode-map "\C-i" th-......)

2. If you really meant to have this in all modes except org-mode, you can make org-mode-hook (which runs after fundamental-mode-hook) to overrule this binding again.

(add-hook 'org-mode-hook
          (lambda ()
             (local-set-key "\C-i" 'th-complete-or-indent)))

3. You could make th-complete-or-indent smarter so that it calls org-cycle when you are in org-mode.

Hope this helps

- Carsten

Does anyone suspect what could be the culprit?

BTW: I use Org-mode-4.64.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
[Emacs] is written in Lisp, which is the only computer language that is
beautiful.  -- Neal Stephenson, _In the Beginning was the Command Line_