Re: [O] Recovering org-completion-use-ido functionality

From: ben lamothe
Subject: Re: [O] Recovering org-completion-use-ido functionality
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2018 08:09:35 -0400

Thanks for the suggestion. I did try out `ido-completing-read-plus`, but it's too aggressive for me. It tries to enable ido *everywhere*, including the interface for `M-x`. I just want to enable it for org-mode specific completions. Basically, I want replicate exactly the functionality that was removed with the `org-completion-use-ido` option.

Incidentally, the buffer-local variable is also too aggressive. Now, when I try to enter a command with `M-x`, that interface tries to use IDO for completing reads, and IDO can't handle it so it fails. That means I'm back at the drawing board, and my previous solution doesn't actually work for me.

Does anyone know how I replicate the functionality that was removed with `org-completion-use-ido`?

On Mon, Sep 3, 2018 at 11:42 AM Colin Baxter <address@hidden> wrote:

    > I've been able to implement the functionality I wanted using a
    > buffer-local variable in an org-mode hook:
    >>
    >> (defun bl/completion-use-ido () "Set the current buffer's
    >> completing read engine to IDO."  (setq-local
    >> completing-read-function #'ido-completing-read))

    > (add-hook 'org-mode-hook 'bl/completion-use-ido)

    > I think that works for me, but I'm open to a better suggestion if
    > there is one. In any case, I think re-enabling the functionality
    > that was removed with the "org-completion-use-ido" function should
    > be documented somewhere.

    > On Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 9:46 PM ben lamothe <address@hidden> wrote:

    >> Hi. I see from the org-mode 9.0 changelog
    >> <https://orgmode.org/Changes_old.html> that the
    >> "org-completion-use-ido" option was removed:
    >>
    >>> *Remove all options related to ido or iswitchb* This includes
    >>> org-completion-use-iswitchb and org-completion-use-ido.  Instead
    >>> Org uses regular functions, e.g., completion-read so as to let
    >>> those libraries operate.
    >>
    >>
    >> However, I'm unclear from the changelog and I haven't found any
    >> other documentation about how to restore the functionality that
    >> this option used to enable. I have tried
    >> ido-completing-read-plus/ido-ubiquitous
    >> <https://github.com/DarwinAwardWinner/ido-completing-read-plus>,
    >> but that is overkill because it tries to enable ido everywhere,
    >> but I just want to re-enable ido for org-mode completion (mainly
    >> refile). I also run into the same problem if I try to set the
    >> completing read function to the one from ido globally.
    >>
    >> What is the best way to restore the functionality of the now
    >> removed "org-completion-use-ido" option?

I've now found `ido-completing-read-plus' to supply what I need. It's at
https://github.com/DarwinAwardWinner/ido-completing-read-plus

Best wishes,