Re: [O] Latex export with \begin{equation}

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Latex export with \begin{equation}
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2018 14:47:37 -0400

Dominik Schrempf <address@hidden> writes:

> so I found the reason. Both Org versions behave the same, sorry for the
> confusion. The original equation that does not get exported correctly
> contained
> angles:
>
> \begin{equation}
>  <k_{eff}> = \frac{\sum_i w_i k_{eff}(i)}{\sum_i w_i}.
> \end{equation}
>
> This equation is correctly rendered when using a .tex file and native LaTeX.
> If the angles are removed, the Org Mode HTML export works:
>
> \begin{equation}
>  k_{eff} = \frac{\sum_i w_i k_{eff}(i)}{\sum_i w_i}.
> \end{equation}
>
> Does anybody know why? Is this expected behavior? Can this be changed?

Maybe this explains it:

"...Also, since the mathematics is initially given as text on the
page, you need to be careful that your mathematics doesn’t look like
HTML tags to the browser (which parses the page before MathJax gets to
see it). In particular, that means that you have to be careful about
things like less-than and greater-than signs (< and >), and ampersands
(&), which have special meaning to the browsers. For example,

... when $x<y$ we have ...

will cause a problem, because the browser will think <y is the
beginning of a tag named y (even though there is no such tag in
HTML)."

See

       http://docs.mathjax.org/en/latest/tex.html

the section entitled "TeX and LaTeX in HTML documents":

--
Nick

"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache
invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors." -Martin Fowler