freetype-devel

[ft-devel] Alignment of top of capital letters to pixel grid, autohinter

From: Nikolaus Waxweiler
Subject: [ft-devel] Alignment of top of capital letters to pixel grid, autohinter often 1 pixel off compared to unhinted outline
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 02:36:39 +0200

While testing Alexei's scaling trick, I rediscovered an old source of irritation (apart from the barely visible dot on the "i").

1. Download https://www.google.com/fonts#UsePlace:use/Collection:Open+Sans
2. Load OpenSans-Regular.ttf in ftview, look at sizes 10, 13, 15, 19
3. Press A and B and compare where the bytecode and the autohinter align the top of capital letters, also press h to compare with the unhinted outline.

I've noticed similar behavior by the autohinter in other fonts. Snapping 1 pixel too low like at the above sizes makes glyphs look like someone stepped on them, 1 pixel too high is a bit less of an issue I think, depending on the size. Bytecode and the CFF hinter do that, too, sometimes, but e.g. the CFF hinter in general and the bytecode in this example give me a better overall consistency impression..

What is the cause and is there anything to be done about it?