fsfc-discuss

[fsfc-discuss] Peter Braid launches Intellectual Property study

From: Darcy Casselman
Subject: [fsfc-discuss] Peter Braid launches Intellectual Property study
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 16:04:13 -0400

http://peterbraid.ca/mp-braid-launches-intellectual-property-study/

> As a member of the Standing Committee on Industry, Science and Technology,
> Mr. Braid put forward a motion that the Committee “undertake a study of the
> effectiveness of the current intellectual property regime in Canada, which
> will include the important role of intellectual property in fostering
> Canadian innovation and leading edge technology. “  The committee has adopted
> this motion, and has set aside a minimum of 8 meetings for the study.
>
> “A stronger IP regime will help to expand Canada’s innovative capacity,
> stimulate the knowledge-based economy and create high quality jobs in our
> community,” said Braid.  “This study will continue our government’s progress
> on IP, and the development of policies that will enable our cutting-edge
> businesses to continue to compete and succeed.”

My illustrious MP is again standing up for IP rights-holders like RIM
and EA, proposing a study to "strengthen" IP rules.  Reading between
the lines, I'm seeing "software patents."  I could be wrong, but this
is definitely something we should keep an eye on.

"Stakeholders" are encouraged to send submissions to the committee:

Standing Committee on Industry, Science and Technology
Sixth Floor, 131 Queen Street
House of Commons
Ottawa ON K1A 0A6
Email : address@hidden