fsfc-discuss

Re: [fsfc-discuss] Peter Braid launches Intellectual Property study

From: Russell McOrmond
Subject: Re: [fsfc-discuss] Peter Braid launches Intellectual Property study
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 12:17:52 -0400

On 12-05-15 04:04 PM, Darcy Casselman wrote:
http://peterbraid.ca/mp-braid-launches-intellectual-property-study/

In case it is of interest, the following is the submission I sent in on May 11:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jzOgyBSnE4hWjCNTASYvhuH3M4OCaOyOfHT2efbG2Zg/edit

"INDU's study of Canada's Intellectual Monopoly regime"

My illustrious MP is again standing up for IP rights-holders like RIM
and EA, proposing a study to "strengthen" IP rules.  Reading between
the lines, I'm seeing "software patents."  I could be wrong, but this
is definitely something we should keep an eye on.

We should keep an eye on it, but those in his riding should spend extra time. More government intervention in the marketplace, and granting more monopolies, are not good for the economy.

RIM will likely be wiped out by TPMs which restrict the ability of RIM device owners from accessing popular multimedia content. Not that I'm worried about RIM, but I am worried about a competative marketplace and how these excessive government manipulations will also wipe out the part of the industry I make a living in.

 Please help us tell the Canadian Parliament to protect our property
 rights as owners of Information Technology. Sign the petition!
 http://l.c11.ca/ict

  manufacturers, can pry my camcorder, computer, home theatre, or
  portable media player from my cold dead hands!"