fsfc-discuss

[fsfc-discuss] C-11

From: David C Dawson
Subject: [fsfc-discuss] C-11
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 12:19:55 -0700

Hi Russell,Darcy;
Re your recent comments on the fsfc-discuss list:

I sent the following [hastily cobbled together] email to Elizabeth May,
hoping it would assist her efforts to put forward credible amendments
to bill C-11's TPM provisions, but as yet have not received any feedback:
Dear Ms May,
I support your efforts to deal with the so-called 'Digital Locks'
provisions in Bill C-11.

However, I would a you to use the term 'Digital Snares'.

I liken the TPM provision to snares, instead of locks, because the
operation of a snare is closer to the concept of TPM, than the operation
of a lock is.

An (actual) snare is a length of wire, formed into a loop of just the right
size for the animal you want to catch, attached to a rope with a supple tree
bent and held by a small toggle.

The animal runs unaware into the noose, and if the hunter did the set-up
corrrectly, is quickly strangled, and the hunter will have a meal.

Snares, must be correct for the quarry. A mouse snare will not catch a bear,
wolf, hyena, elephant, etc.

Unfortunately, a snare (physical or digital), has no way to know that the
action it took was what you intended. For example, the Sony company, not
*that* long ago decided that it was a *good idea* to put a TPM on
some of its physical media disks. The fall-out was, unforseen, and
eventually resulted in a class-action lawsuit.

Imagine instead, that a control system to a nuclear reactor had malfunctioned
and had lead to a melt-down because the new alert system's manual (on a
TPM-'protected' document had unforseen results.

To summarize:
A TPM provision is *certain* to cause far more damage that it allegedly will
prevent. It has been decades since it was possible for one individual to
understand everything about a computer system. To believe that this
concept is useful is delusional at best, and willfully ignorant at worst.

I urge you to pursue the course of action you are on.

Thank you.

certainly, my metaphor is flawed, but then, so is the whole TPM
concept. Please, if the 'snare' metaphor is useful, I would
like some feedback. Thanks
--
David Dawson VE7HP VE7HDC
IRC: (Freenode) VE7HP