fsfe-france

[Fsfe-france] Intellectual Property

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: [Fsfe-france] Intellectual Property
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 12:12:46 +0100

        For information.

>       I've been told by Andreas Krennmair that a book in german
> basicaly advocates that "Intellectual Property" is an inapropriate
> term.
>
>       Could you please send me the precise reference for this book ?

Manfred Rehbinder, Urheberrecht, 12. Auflage, M?nchen 2002, Rz 79, S. 52f.

Prof. Rehbinder's Book (being in the 12th edition at the moment) is
regarded as _the_ most imortant manual on german Author's Rights Law and
(because of the similarities in both countries) recommended reading for
austrian law students, too.

The wording is quite strong (espescially for a lawyer) and IMHO really
beautiful: Intellectual Property (Geistiges Eigentum) is called an
aberrance of legal theory ("rechtstheoretische Verirrung"), a
historical relict (in German even stronger "aus der Mottenkiste der
Rechtsgeschichte") wich only unecessarily (and often on purpose) is
obscuring legal facts ("tats?chliche Rechtslage"..."nur unn?tig
verdunkelt").

I am preparing an article in which I collect other critical sources on the
terminology as well as the proposed similarity to material property, if
you're interested I'll keep you updated.

--
Donate to FSF France online : http://rate.affero.net/fsffrance/
Loic Dachary, 12 bd Magenta, 75010 Paris. Tel: 33 1 42 45 07 97