Re: Calendar hack: Displaying ISO weeks, update for emacs 22

From: Alf-Ivar Holm
Subject: Re: Calendar hack: Displaying ISO weeks, update for emacs 22
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 10:04:30 +0100

address@hidden (Edward M. Reingold) writes:

> This kind of modification of the shape of the calendar window will
> break many things in the determination of holidays and diary
> entries.  It is not recommended!

Yes, you told me 10 years ago, but as you have not yet provided me
with any proof and I have not seen any of these functions break, I
post it in case anyone else would like to have it.

> It is trivial to generate that look, but many, many functions would
> need to be modified to do the necessary interpretation of teh
> modified calendar buffer.

Could you give me _one_ function that would break?  The displayed
calendar is quite static, e.g. it does not support dynamic display of
months when changing the width of the window (I could easily fit 5
months, included week numbers, on my screen if I do a horizontal
maximization of my calendar window), a functionality I would have had
to specifically test for if it were present.  When it comes to
calculating a date I can't see why the visual representation of the
calendar matters, e.g. the date structures is luckily not dependent of
what is displayed in the buffer.

        Affi