Re: [OT] free software vs open source was: Re: codesearch.el 1.0 --- Sea

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [OT] free software vs open source was: Re: codesearch.el 1.0 --- Search for code via Google Code Search
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2007 15:48:14 -0400

    thanks for the clarification. Essentially, I agree. My only concern is that
old
    problem of the understanding of 'free'. The vast majority of people I hear
    using the term 'free software' are almost always talking about free of cost
    rather than free as in freedom.

Both terms are commonly misunderstood.  At least with 'free software'
it is easier to explain the correct meaning.

See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html
for more explanation of this.

    Given the multiple interpretations of free, did the FSF consider
    alternative terms that may have less ambiguity or put more
    emphasis on defending the four freedoms or was free simply the
    simplest/best alternative that didn't create other conetations or
    fears?

I didn't recognize the multiple interpretations until a few years
after starting the movement.  But then, it was too late.