Re: realplay.el interface with Real Player v. 1879

From: David Hansen
Subject: Re: realplay.el interface with Real Player v. 1879
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 06:24:18 +0200

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 11:09:44 -0400 Richard Stallman wrote:

> Since RealPlayer is non-free software, not respecting users' freedom,
> we don't want to legitimize its use.
>
> RealPlayer is very well known, probably having more users than Emacs.
> So it is ok to have a package for using Emacs with RealPlayer; I think
> its main effect will be to encourage use of Emacs, not encourage
> installation of RealPlayer.
>
> Still, the package ought to mention that people should not use
> RealPlayer if they want freedom.  Most of the users in our community
> have never heard this; and even for those who have, it is so easy to
> get distracted...

A possible solution would be to write the code for `mplayer' and add a
"discouraged and ugly alternative" to use realplayer in case mplayer is
not available.

mplayer is free software though it's legal status (especially for
proprietary codecs) is at best `doubtful' (but most GNU/Linux users
don't give a fuck).

David