Re: [OT] Re: realplay.el interface with Real Player v. 1879

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: [OT] Re: realplay.el interface with Real Player v. 1879
Date: 26 Jul 2007 01:35:36 GMT

Galen Boyer wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Jul 2007, address@hidden wrote:
>
>> Our message is that non-free software is unjust and illegitimate.
>
> Hi Richard,
>
> I'm an Oracle professional.  I don't see any free software close to as
> good as their database software.  Its a fairly easy argument to make
> that if all software were free, Oracle wouldn't be in business,
> therefore nobody would be able to use a database as good as Oracle's is
> today.

actually, there are two non-sequiturs in your reasoning here. there are
businesses making money with free and/or open source software, so there is
no a priori reason to assume oracle wouldn't be in business if all software
were free.

and even if that did happen, it still does not follow that no-one would be
able to use a database as good as oracle's: there is no a priori reason to
assume that in a world where all software is free, there couldn't be a
high-quality database.

--
Joost Kremers                                      address@hidden
EN:SiS(9)