Re: ;;; anything.el --- open anything

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: ;;; anything.el --- open anything
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 22:44:50 -0700

On Aug 24, 12:03 am, Bill Clementson <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Tamas/Tassilo,
>

> "address@hidden" <address@hidden> writes:
> > Hi,,
>
> > On Aug 23, 9:58 pm, Tassilo Horn <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> >> Oh, while I was typing those lines I realized that it's possible right
> >> now!  Add every and each source to anything-sources and fire up anything
> >> with
>
> >> (defun th-anything ()
> >>   (interactive)
> >>   (anything-set-source-filter '(anything-c-source-foo
> >>                                 anything-c-source-bar
> >>                                 anything-c-source-baz))
> >>   (anything))
>
> >> Oh, doesn't work!  It errors!
>
> Interestingly, I tried the same thing a few days ago (for much the
> same reason - I wanted to have a "trimmed-down" anything configuration
> for "normal" use and a "heavy-weight" anything configuration for
> "special" searches).
>
> > anything-set-source-filter  is meant to be used during M-x anything,
> > because it invokes anything-update:
>
> > (defun anything-set-source-filter (sources)
> >   "Sets the value of `anything-source-filter' and updates the list of
> > results."
> >   (setq anything-source-filter sources)
> >   (anything-update))
>
> > You can try setting anything-source-filter manually and start Anything
> > after that.
>
> It doesn't work if an anything buffer doesn't exist.

I fixed anything.el, so variable anything-source-filters can have an
initial value when Anyhting is started:

(setq anything-source-filter '("Buffers"))
(anything)

The value is restored when Anything exits in case you also use
anything-set-source-filters to toggle the value on the fly while
Anything is running.

> but, anything and anything-config should probably be making certain
> that they don't load things that the user doesn't want loaded.

The anyhing-sources value in anything.el is not meant to be a good
default value, the user should change it anyway, so it's not really an
issue. anything-config is a different matter.