Re: Remember 2.0 released

From: Ulrich Mueller
Subject: Re: Remember 2.0 released
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 21:21:03 +0200

>> This is not a clean way of doing things. If Emacs fails here, it
>> is a real error (i.e. there will be no .elc file), so make should
>> _not_ ignore it, but abort at this point.

> Actually, I think this is a bad idea. If Gentoo is requiring that
> the make command succeed without errors, then the user will have
> to have every optional dependency (such as the deprecated
> emacs-wiki.el) installed before they can successfully build
> remember.

Of course we control what files are compiled (and installed) via the
"EL" and "ELC" variables. Otherwise it wouldn't work.

> If Gentoo is really hot and bothered about seeing errors in the
> Makefile, it's better just to remove the "lisp" target from "all".

I see the point why the "|| :" is there. However, the problem for
Gentoo as a source-based distribution is that our users report bugs to
us if they see such errors. ;-) So we must make some additional effort
to avoid them.

[Anyway, this discussion is off-topic for g.e.sources, so this will be
my last posting in this thread.]

Ulrich