Re: man-completion.el

From: Roland Winkler
Subject: Re: man-completion.el
Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 15:55:02 +0200

Martin Fischer <address@hidden> writes:
>   >>>>> Kevin Ryde writes:
>   > Date: Sat, 03 May 2008 11:02:28 +1000
>   >
>   > This is a bit of code I started to add completion to M-x man.  The
>   > filename bit might be slightly preliminary, I'm not too well up on the
>   > best way to do filename completion tied in with other possibilities.
>
> are you aware of
>
>   * WoMan: (woman).  Browse UN*X Manual Pages "Wo (without) Man".
>
> which has such a feature already ?

I never understood why woman offers completion and man doesn't.
Unless man is considered obsolete (which to the best of my knowledge
it is not) I believe it makes sense to have completion for both
packages. -- On the other hand, it's not necessary to reinvent the
wheel, i.e., it would make sense if both genders could share such
code, plus a switch specifying whether formatting of the man pages
should be done externally or internally.  (I do not know all the
features of man.el and woman.el. I got the vague impression that
there are more features that can be found only in one or the other
package.)

Roland