Re: contentswitch.el --- switch to buffer/file by content

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: contentswitch.el --- switch to buffer/file by content
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 08:41:52 -0700 (PDT)

On Oct 6, 4:16 pm, Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> wrote:

> How do you think that will work?  contentswitch shows live matches as
> you type; will that integrate easily with anything.el?  The calculator
> source in anything-sources.el is a nice demo of dynamic result updates,
> so maybe it will work.
>
> Anyhow, the more pertinent question is, will you implement it or are you
> waiting for someone to do it?

Actually, it's not very hard to do if I remember the details of
contentswitch.el correctly.  Someone needs to fork contentswitch.el
and separate the presentation and the backend in it. It involves
modifying 2-3 functions at most and it's mostly about rearranging
code.

When the backend is separated then an anything source can require the
modified contentswitch package and call the backend functions and do
the presentation via anything. I'm fairly sure anything.el itself
doesn't need to be modified at all, since the presentation involves
merely using text properties, so it should work out of the box.

Since you seem motivated I suggest you take a look at how
contentswitch.el work and do the separation of backend and
presentation yourself. When it's done then creating and anything
source for the modified contentswitch should be fairly
straightforward.